JWE staff have agreed upon the following homework guidelines when structuring and assigning homework:
- Reading across all grade levels is essential.
- Homework is targeted and purposeful, based on material already taught in class.
- Homework is practice, reinforcement, and extensions of classroom content.
- Homework is differentiated based on age, developmental capacity, and academic needs.
- Homework should not require extra resources or excessive adult support in order for the student to be successful, but can provide opportunities for peer and adult involvement.
- Homework should have flexible schedules to support a family’s busy schedule, as well as not requiring students to work over extended breaks.
- Homework encourages student accountability and responsibility.