Options for life after graduation:
- 1-2 year degree or certification at a community college
- 2 year transfer degree from community college
- 4 year college university
- Trade school
- Armed forces
- Gap year community serviceSteps for applying to college:
- SAT or ACT tests
- Completing the applications
- Ordering transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Financial Aid
- NCAA athletic information
- Tour dates available on college websites
- Visitation opportunities often include scholarship contests
- Handouts to help guide your visit available in the counseling center
- Stepping on campus can be one of the strongest indicators of fit
College entrance exams:
- ACT – covers Math, Reading, Science, Writing
- Writing is necessary, make sure you sign up for that component!
- Cost is $62.50
- Sign up is online @ www.actstudent.org
- SAT- covers Math, Reading and Writing
- Sign ups are online @ www.collegeboard.com
- Cost is $64.50 with essay or $47.50 without essay.
- See your counselor if you may need a fee waiver
- Remember that colleges and universities may use your scores as part of class placement
- Be sure to send your scores to prospective schools, there is $10 fee to send later. You are responsible for making sure your final score arrives at your school of choice.
Applications and Transcripts
- Common application and send.edu both require a counselor recommendation, please make an appointment with your counselor when you start these.
- Transcripts are ordered through our registrar Mrs. Baker in the counseling center, you complete the four several days in advance.
Letters of recommendation
- There are helpful packets to get you started in the counseling center
- Identify the need for the letter
- These letters can take personal time to write and they are higher quality if they are more specific
- Important considerations
- Try to give people two weeks for people to complete letters/forms
- Submit a list of accomplishments/activities when asking someone for a letter
- Provide a stamped envelope when the letter needs to be mailed
- Remember to send/deliver thank you notes!
Find out about college athletics
If you are eligible and interested in competing in collegiate athletics you will need to register with the clearinghouse.
- You need a minimum 16 core credits to be eligible, C- or higher
- There is a registration fee, $65 as part of the application process
- You can find the website on Google, or see your counselor or coach for more info.
- www.collegeboard.com has great planning tips for prospective student athletes
- Start your applications for your specific plan
- Technical Program research/application
- Save money!!
- College applications
- The counseling center has scholarship handouts, videos & college guides available for your use!
Planning meetings for all seniors
- Goal setting meetings will happen for all seniors with their counselor
- You will receive tools to help you with carrying out your plan
- Please attend when appointment slips are sent!
- You can still pop by and ask questions throughout the process